Speaking of wanting to go on a road trip… this book is really making me long for one! Scott and I go on “road trips” all the time, driving a long way to get places, but this book is more to get you ready for a Kerouac-type trip — maybe you have a destination in mind, but there’s plenty of time to stop and see anything and everything else along the way!
McHugh sets out the important things for a road trip: who and what to bring (and NOT to bring!), what music to listen to, how to assign duties for your fellow road-trippers (from Driver to Mapper to Point Man), and even what games to play when you get bored. And, of course, the obligatory “weird state laws section”:
• Getting a fish drunk is unlawful.
• A driver must honk the horn when he or she passes another car. (This is totally in the driver’s ed manual, but I have never heard anyone do it, ever.)
• No one may be arrested on Sunday or the Fourth of July. (Mmhmm…)
• Selling ice cream after 6 p.m. is illegal unless the customer has a note from his doctor.
• Daring a child to purchase beer is against the law.
And more, of course, but those are the ones I enjoyed. 🙂
I definitely need to buy a copy of this book and put it in my glove box.
Dreadlock Girl Reads
Pass me yours, if you’ve got ’em.